Yes, You Can Sell a Home Owned by a Corporation

November 9, 2021

If you are selling commercial property, it is likely that you have sold properties held in a corporation. Assurance Title has a strong commercial side and is capable of handling your commercial deals as well.

However, it is still possible to have a residential property be held in a corporation. So what do we need to know when the owner of record is a corporation?

Let us help. Read more

What to Do When the Owner of Record is in a Trust

October 28, 2021

Have you ever sold a home where the owner of record is in a trust? What does that mean? How is that different? What does title do differently, and how do you know when a property is in a trust?

A trust refers to the fiduciary relationship created to appoint one party to manage assets on behalf of a third party. This relationship is established between the creator of the trust (the grantor) and the trustee, who holds and administers the property within the trust on behalf of the beneficiary designated to receive the property. The trustee is appointed to administer the trust while acting in the best interests of the grantor.

So how does this transaction differ from a traditional sale? 

Well, the short answer is … it isn’t that different. There are a few things we (the title company) will need in order to begin the sale. We will need a copy of the Trust Agreement from the Seller. This will include names, permissions, and who is the signing agent of the trust.

The sale contract will have the seller’s name as the name of the Trust and the representative of the trust will sign as Trustee. For example: “Trustees name”, Trustee.

For settlement, we will need to verify the separate bank account that is open in the name of the trust.

Our Client Relations & Marketing Manager, Brian Harper-Lewis, will walk you through the process and ensure that your transaction is handled smoothly and efficiently.

Title Tips for Selling a Home in an Estate

October 20, 2021

What do you do when your next listing is in an estate? And what does that mean for title?

While selling a property held in an estate is slightly different from your traditional sale, it doesn’t have to be difficult! The best way to sell this kind of property is to be prepared.

When an owner of a home passes away, typically, that home goes into the individual’s estate. The first thing we do is verify the Personal Representative of the Estate by using the Maryland Registers website.

Once we know who the PR is, Advantage Title will request some documents, so it is important to let the Personal Representative listing the house know upfront that we are going to need the following items:

  • Death Certificate
  • Letters of Administration from the PR
  • EIN # for Estate

From there, everything proceeds as normal. When selling an estate property, you’ll want to have the seller on the contract of sale as “The Estate of *Name of Deceased.*” You’ll also want to make sure that the Personal Representative is signing as “*PR Name* as the Personal Representative.”

Happy selling!

Brian Harper is Our New Liaison with Agents, Buyers & Sellers

June 17, 2021

Communication is everything.

It’s at the heart of all that we do at Assurance Title. That’s why we’re excited to announce that Brian Harper has moved into a new role as our Marketing Manager.

If you’re an agent, buyer or seller working with Assurance, you’re going to get to know Brian well
because his job is to forge strong working relationships and create a memorable settlement experience.

He’ll be reaching out periodically at each stage of the settlement process to ensure that everyone involved is fully informed and educated on the process, as well as what is needed at each step along the way. Even after the settlement is over, he’ll be checking back to find out how the experience went and to identify any ways that we can serve you better.

Read more

Homestead Tax Credit

May 26, 2021

Happy One-Year Anniversary!

Now that you’ve lived in your house for a year, you should qualify for Maryland’s Homestead Tax Credit. This credit limits any annual tax increase to no more than 10% a year for a principle residence. As values rise, so will your taxable assessment. So lock in your base value now before you overpay on your future tax bills. To register, you must:

1) Live in the Property for a Year as Principle Residents

2) Receive Your Application by Mail or Call 410-767-2165 to Get the Access Number

3) Apply at

Selling a Home with Solar Panels? Know the Numbers and Make the Case

May 12, 2021

Solar panels have been showing up on the roofs and in the yards of more and more homes in recent years. So naturally, more homes with solar panels are hitting the market.

But this raises several questions — practical and financial — that must be addressed whether clients are interested in buying or selling a home with existing solar panels.

First, let’s start with some general awareness. Read more

How Tenancy Status is Like Your Relationship Status

March 12, 2021

Facebook relationship status screenshotMost of us think of a “Tenant” as a person who rents from a landlord and has permission to use the property. So let’s think of “Tenancy” as owning and using the property.

If it’s just you, then tenancy can be listed as simply as Sole Ownership. If it’s more than one person, a title company will ask how you want to take title? You will be given the options of Tenants In Common, Joint Tenants, or Tenants by The Entireties. Read more

Survey Says … Location Drawings are Worth It

March 1, 2021

Location drawings What if I told you there was a major problem with the property you are about to buy? 

To identify the problem, YOU would need to read and visualize meets & bounds descriptions that read something like this:

Read more